In-Game Commentary

Twitter Updates

    follow at your own risk

    Monday, November 2, 2009

    Week 3: Sweet Willy Rollbar

    Still playing relatively exhausted. It's been a trying few weeks, but even during the worst of times there is always music. This week was very much a continuation of last week, as well as a sort-of elaboration, but that will likely become more evident in week 4.

    Our total plays for this week come to: and minus last weeks totals, that gives us 669 plays for the week. I figure I should, without cheating, be able to average about a thousand plays a week when I'm on my 'A' game.

    The story this week is gonna be best illustrated by looking at the top-artists of the past 7 days: As you can see, the big winner this week was the Kinks, whose 60's and early 70's output I figured I needed to acquaint myself with. If you want the early impressions, I like their first album, You Really Got Me, but the next couple are weaker. However, by the time the 60's become psychedelic the Kinks had picked up again. So far, my votes go to The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation society.
    Besides the Kinks, as I anticipated, Melvins had another strong showing this week, pushing up their totals, and securing them a solid 8th place, biting ever-so-closely at the boot-heels of one of this lists more powerful artists: Xiu Xiu. But if you want my predictions, Melvins wont get as many plays this coming week, though they'll still end-up one of the most played artists.

    In terms of Top Songs, no changes this week. These competitors are so entrenched that it'll be hard to dislodge any of them, especially considering my own aversion to listening to songs or albums on repeat. I usually like to give them a little time to sink in. Otherwise, two tracks that you may end up seeing climb this list are "Sweet Willy Rollbar" by Melvins, and "Home Is Where the Hatred Is" by Gil Scott-Heron, the latter of which has the distinction of being a song I actually can listen to repeatedly. Otherwise, here's this weeks Top Songs:

    Otherwise, other changes amongst the Top Artists: Sonic Youth climbed ahead of Pavement this week, but still trails Madlib by 13 plays. Patton Oswalt jumped from 24th place to become tied for 18th with Hossein Alizadeh and Madjid Khaladj. Otherwise we can see that as a result of my recent Kinks binge, they've broken into the Top Artists list for the first time, at 32. All the while No Age remains the border-guard of the Top Artists list at 35th place with 167 plays as the benchmark to beat in order to break in. (We can also see, however, from last weeks list that No Age still shares this position with Neil Young & Crazy Horse)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment